Instructions for Signing Up for Written Exams
1. Complete three practice tests for the specific exam you desire to take with a score of 90% or above. These can be completed on the Cessna Training website, Sporty’s Study Buddy, or Shephard Air.
2. Present your practice test scores to your ground or flight instructor for an endorsement to take the test.
3. If taking the exam on campus, go to the EKU Office of Academic Testing website https://testing.eku.edu/faa and choose a date for your examination.
- If the available dates do not meet your timeline/schedule, then you are required to submit an ‘exemption request’ to take the exam at another testing site. You shall request an exemption via an email to the Retention and Records official, Mrs. Jessica Madden (Jessica.email@example.com). The subject line of the email shall be “Request for private/instrument/commercial/CFI exam exemption – your name.” Your email must provide the location of the facility that you are planning to take the exam and the date of the exam. You are required to provide proof of your exam results within 24 hours in order to receive compensation for the exam.
4. Complete the online EKU Aviation FAA Written Exam Registration Form a minimum of two business days before the test date. It is critical that you use the exact name and address that are printed on your photo ID.
5. The Flight Training office, located in the EKU Flight Training Center will call the CATS center and register you for the exam (and pay the fee) based on the information you provided. The fee to pay for your first exam was included in the ground course fee. The fee to take any additional exams will be charged to your aviation account ($150 at EKU, or the cost of the exam at other facilities). If funds aren’t available in your account, a bill will be created for your EKU student account.
6. Once registered you will receive a confirmation email from PSI CATS.
7. If you elect to not take the exam, you must call PSI CATS and cancel/reschedule the exam at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled time. If you do not show up for your exam, you will forfeit the $150 testing fee.
8. On the day of the exam arrive at the testing center 30 minutes prior to your start time in order to complete additional registration requirements.
- Bring your photo ID, required endorsement, and any FAA approved materials.
- If retesting, bring failed exam with instructor signature.
9. After you complete the exam, bring the results to Flight Training office within 24 hours. Quality scanned copies are acceptable. Don’t lose the original!
Other facilities might charge a higher fee than EKU’s testing center. *refunds will not be issued for students who did not obtain prior permission to test outside of EKU (see item #4)*